Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bow Bow #Shotsfired



Today I went to the range and I fired a weapon for the first time. I have been to the range before, but only to browse and I have watched others fire weapons from outside the shooting range, but this was different. This weekend was the gun show. There were retailers there with anything from a .22 to desert eagles to tommy guns, machine guns, and shit that looked like it would make Rambo piss himself.

I was a little anxious about the situation. "I don't like violence. I don't like guns." I was curious though and I thought learning to shoot would give me some confidence with all the power that assumably comes with it. I went with some friends of mine.

I realized how much of a novice I was as I browsed the room looking for a piece for myself. I found a table where a man was displaying several .38 special revolvers in assorted colors. Of of the individuals I was with suggested this would be a decent place to start.

I was thinking a .22 was a good place to start, but I trust this person so I went with it. We gave the vendor our licenses and he boxed our weapons.

We purchased some ammo, grabbed a target, protective eye-wear and ear-wear and went into the range where we would share a lane. As we prepared the weapon I was startled by all the level of calibers being fired around me. Shells were poppin everywhere. Some were like the sounds of what an exploding garbage can might sound like. I tried to ready myself and not make it obvious that I was jumping at every loud noise.

I quietly thought to myself, " wouldn't if be more weird if I were just all about this? SHOULDN'T I be cautious?" My turn came quick. I stepped up, but I couldn't do it. I watched the gun jump and spark as it was fired by my friend.

So I took my own advice and went a few lanes down to another friend where I would fire a .22, it was pretty easy to shoot. Then I got excited. I wasn't afraid anymore. I went back down to the other lane back to the .38 but I had a relapse and I couldn't do it. My friend said to me:

"This is an experience that may benefit you and some of the young people you work with because of your relationship with them and the work you do. Then you can explain your experience and share what you learned, how you felt, and you can better understand and share the impact and possible implications of dealing with guns"

I didn't accept the challenge because of that nor did I accept in someway to seem like I'd be more relatable to them because I fired a gun.(that would be rediculous) I did it because I wanted to and because I agreed that if I was going to do it I would do it for me AND for that. I fired the .38 It had some kick to it. After 2 rounds I was done. I was less anxious by the time we left but still maintained some caution and a little tremble which let me know I was still in tact and hadn't completely changed.

I have to say it was a good experience for me and I have no regrets. For now.

That's it for now...

It's good Sunday, I got clothes to fold.

No comments: